I’ve done the base shading, and now I’m starting to lay in the gold line, which will take awhile. I’m not going to start on the faces, hands and feet till the rest is done, since I’m doing this part in egg tempera, but I’m going to change over to oils for the skin.
I’m working on a hanging for a parish in Charlottesville – here are some in progress pictures, and I’ll post more as it gets more detail. It’s 6 by 10 feet, oil on Canvas.
I’ve reordered the photos to put the most recent work first. I’ve been working on the face, hair, and hands.
May 1 – Over the past week I have been focusing completely on the face. As far as I am concerned, if the face is not right, then it doesn’t matter how good or bad the rest of it is. So, what I do is spend a lot of time just staring…and then I decide how I want to change the expression so it conveys what I want. In this case, I decided the eyes were too wide, and the mouth was not gentle enough, and the eyebrows were not sufficiently questioning. I am looking for an expression that is inviting, not scary, but still full of mystery, as well as challenging.
I’ve been adding lines and lettering, working some more on the face. It’s getting close to done.
It’s pretty close to done now. I switched over to oils a bit ago.
I’m working on putting back images of Christ I have painted previously, unfortunately with a big copyright statement across the middle. Things get copied around, and I find images book covers without my permission, so I have to do this.
Here’s a step 1 image of this icon – it’s rather large – 2 by 3 feet – and it’s based upon a hanging I did awhile back for Incarnation Parish in Charlottesville. I’ll post images in progress. I haven’t decided what I’ll do with it, so if you are interested, contact me.